New Blog Feature: Women’s Book March!

Hi everyone! This is a quick post to announce a new post series launching this March on the Expansion Front: the Women’s Book March!

I’ve had it in my head for a while to challenge myself to read only books written by women and femme authors for a full year. I’ll be starting that challenge this March 2019 until March 2020.

The Rules:

  1. I’ll focus on women’s prose fiction for the challenge. Graphic novels and nonfiction may also creep in, but my goal is to read more widely of women novelists, particularly in science fiction and fantasy.
  2. Since I’m trying to expand my horizons, I will limit authors I’ve previously read to 30%. The other 70% must be women authors I haven’t read! Assuming an average reading speed of 4 books per month, this means one can be a known author and 3 must be new authors.
  3. Once I’ve read a new author, she will move from the “unread” to the “read” category.
  4. I will define women and femme authors as cis women, trans women, and nonbinary people who identify as femme.
  5. I will write a summary post of my impressions on the blog and on Goodreads for each book I read for the challenge.

The Goal:

As an agender-femme person, lifelong science fiction fan, and now science fiction author, I’ve heard over and over that women don’t read or write science fiction, or that women make up a tiny percentage of sci-fi fans and authors. While less prevalent in fantasy, this stereotype needs busting.

I hope this blog series reveals how many great female and femme spec-fic authors there are to choose from, and introduces me (and you, reader) to some awesome authors we would never encounter otherwise.

March on, reader!

This entry was posted in Book Reviews, Fiction, Women's Book March Challenge and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to New Blog Feature: Women’s Book March!

  1. Pingback: Women’s Book March: Everfair by Nisi Shawl | The Expansion Front

  2. Pingback: Women’s Book March: The Race by Nina Allan | The Expansion Front

  3. Pingback: Women’s Book March: Night’s Gift by Camilla Ochlan and Carol E. Leever | The Expansion Front

  4. Pingback: Women’s Book March: Monstress Vols. 2 & 3 by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda | The Expansion Front

  5. Pingback: Women’s Book March: The Only Harmless Great Thing by Brooke Bolander | The Expansion Front

  6. Pingback: Women’s Book March: Updraft by Fran Wilde | The Expansion Front

  7. Pingback: Women’s Book March: Jade City by Fonda Lee | The Expansion Front

  8. Pingback: Women’s Book March: The Tea Master and the Detective by Aliette de Bodard | The Expansion Front

  9. Pingback: Women’s Book March: The Unseen World by Liz Moore | The Expansion Front

  10. Pingback: Women’s Book March: Negative Return by Jessie Kwak | The Expansion Front

  11. Pingback: Women’s Book March: The Outside by Ada Hoffmann | The Expansion Front

  12. Pingback: Women’s Book March: vN: The First Machine Dynasty by Madeline Ashby | The Expansion Front

  13. Pingback: Women’s Book March: The Creative Fire by Brenda Cooper | The Expansion Front

  14. Pingback: Women’s Book March: The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal | The Expansion Front

  15. Pingback: Women’s Book March: No Man of Woman Born (Rewoven Tales) by Ana Mardoll | The Expansion Front

  16. Pingback: Women’s Book March: Binti by Nnedi Okorafor | The Expansion Front

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.